The Lady Chapel

This 14th-century chapel, built to honour the Virgin Mary, has been reworked many times.

Remodelled by Bishop Vaughan in the 1500s, he kept the 14th-century stone seats (sedilia) and earlier tombs, but his vaulted ceiling fell in 1775, probably because the lead had been stripped in 1648.

Here is the elaborate memorial to Bishop Owen (d.1926) and glass by Kempe (1901). Frank Roper’s metal screen (1973), transparently defines a welcoming space used regularly for worship. 

The cathedral’s Welsh congregation meet in the lady chapel for Sunday worship.